Atrthritis causes painful and stiff joints that affects people of all ages, even children!
Arthritis includes more than 100 different conditions that affect joints and the surrounding tissue. The most common form of arthritis in the Unites States is osteoarthritis, followed by gout and rheumatoid arthritis. Symptoms include pain, aching, stiffness, and swelling in or around the joints. Arthritis affects people of all ages, including children. Although the risk of developing arthritis increases with age, more than half of adults with arthritis are younger than 65. About 1 in 4 US adults has arthritis.
- Arthritis affects about 1 in 4 adults in the United States. That’s 54 million men and women.
- As the US population ages & obesity increases, the number of adults with arthritis is expected to increase to 78 million by 2040.
- One-third of adults living in rural areas have arthritis. Over 1 in 2 adults with arthritis in rural areas are limited by it.
- Arthritis is a leading cause of disability in the United States. Twenty-four million adults report limitations due to arthritis.
- The most common form of arthritis in the Unites States is osteoarthritis.
- People with arthritis can manage symptoms & reduce pain by learning self-management strategies and being physically active.
|Take Quiz: Arthritis | Disease of the Week | CDC|