Wearing sunscreen is important for everyone, even those with eczema. Just be sure to look for the best high-SPF sunscreens that are non-comedogenic and alcohol-free.
Because those living with eczema often deal with sensitive and sometimes sore skin, finding a sunscreen that is effective yet non-irritating can be a real challenge. And because protecting your skin from sun damage is super important, it’s worth taking the time to find a product that works for your skin.
What to Look for in a Sunscreen for Eczema
- Mineral-based UV filters When it comes to choosing a sunscreen for use with eczema, Adam Friedman, MD, dermatologist and Professor of Dermatology at The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences in Washington, D.C., says that those containing mineral-based UV filters such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are the best choice, as they are non-irritating. “They are historically cosmetically unappealing given they are greasy and bright white, but newer formulations contain micronized (miniaturized) forms of these mineral filters that sit more evenly on the skin and do not scatter visible light as much, making them less noticeable,” says Dr. Friedman.
- Broad-spectrum protection Both UVA and UVB rays are damaging to the skin, so it’s important to look for a sunscreen that provides broad spectrum protection. And while some dermatologists suggest a small amount of sun exposure to help treat eczema symptoms, protection is still important.
- SPF level Most health care professionals advise using a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30. SPF is a measure of how well a sunscreen protects skin against UVB rays, which cause sunburn, damage skin, and can contribute to skin cancer.
- Alcohol-free Alcohol has a drying effect on skin, and can be particularly irritating for those with sensitive skin issues, including eczema. Steer clear of sunscreens that contain alcohol for the least-irritating experience.
- Find NEA’s Seal of Acceptance™ The National Eczema Association has a Seal of Acceptance™ program evaluates product ingredients and testing data to determine if a product is suitable for use by those living with eczema. This helps ensure products are less likely to cause a reaction in those with eczema or other sensitive skin conditions.
Here are some products to try:
Best Overall Face Lotion
CeraVe SPF 50 Sunscreen Face Lotion
Specially formulated to provide effective UV protection on sensitive facial skin, CeraVe sunscreen features a lightweight and oil-free formula that is water-resistant for up to 40 minutes. It contains three essential ceramides that help restore and maintain skin’s natural protective barrier, and dries to a clear finish.
|Source: Best Sunscreens for Eczema-Prone Skin | Everyday Health|