Drinking coffee may help prevent liver cancer, study suggests
June 7, 2017
Hepatitis C rising in Kansas City with opioid epidemic
June 8, 2017
Show all

How Clinically Isolated Syndrome (CIS) Is Connected to MS

Understanding the relationship of clinically isolated syndrome and multiple sclerosis.

According to the National MS Society, clinically isolated syndrome (CIS) refers to an initial case of neurological symptoms that continue for at least a day. These symptoms are the result of demyelination or inflammation in the central nervous system. The syndrome is either monofocal, in that the person only experiences one symptom such as optic neurosis, or multifocal, where they may experience more than one symptom during the episode.

Those who experience CIS generally have no fever or infection during the episode and partially or completely recover afterwards.

If a person has a CIS, they have an elevated risk of developing multiple sclerosis. If an MRI scan detects lesions similar to those seen in MS patients, there is a 60 percent to 80 percent chance the person will develop MS over the next few years. These patients are considered high-risk. If no lesions are detected on the MRI, the person has a 20 percent chance of developing MS. These patients are considered low-risk.

Incidents of CIS are (like MS) much higher in women than men, with women twice to three times as likely to have an episode. Seventy percent of those who have a CIS are between 20 and 40 years old.

Read full article: How Clinically Isolated Syndrome (CIS) Is Connected to MS – Multiple Sclerosis News Today

Read Full Article: How Clinically Isolated Syndrome (CIS) Is Connected to MS – Multiple Sclerosis News Today 

The health and medical information on our website is not intended to take the place of advice or treatment from health care professionals. It is also not intended to substitute for the users’ relationships with their own health care/pharmaceutical providers.

Comments are closed.