Delicious comfort food recipe without the added calories and saturated fats
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Grated lemon zest of 1 lemon
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and salt and cook, covered tightly and stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook, stirring often, until very tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the barley.
- Add the tomatoes and water and bring to a boil. Add the thyme, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the barley is tender and creamy, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve topped with crumbled feta and lemon zest.
|Read on: Recipe: Barley Risotto with Feta and Lemon – Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic|